15 November 2000

It's raining cats & dogs now...and it's only 10:15 a.m. It's a sign that the long-awaited NE Monsoon is biding near...time for the boardshorts & lycras to arise from their rest in the wardrobes. Suddenly, there are many 'full-time' sailors at the beach...where the wind is, they shall be. While they are happily sailing in the seas, I'm pumping iron in the claustrophobic gym during lunch-time. That's the best I can do, given my limited resources. This morning's MRT ride was one of the very unpleasant ones I experience periodically. There was this Indian man seated next to me, dressed unkemptly in a football jersey that's so old, there are bubbles on the sleeves. He was of course, unshaven and totally oblivious to social graces. He was reading his copy of Streats, so was I and my neighbour to my right. There should not be a battle for elbow space as long as one is zi dong enough not to spread the newspapers out to the maximum. Apparently, he did not. To add pain to my neck, which I was sure was sustained in my untidy sleeping posture the night before, there appeared to be something else sticking out in between his legs because his leg space intruded into mine. I instinctively inched away from him, elbows, legs and every part of the body that belonged to me. I had to snug close to my female neighbour to my right, hoping she doesn't mind the unwelcome warmth. As if I wasn't irritated enough, he was clearing his throat every one minute, making sure everyone in the carriage, and maybe the next, would be forewarned of his presence in the train. The clearing-throat action was not the usual soft, embarrassed sort but almost in a magnified tone enough to knit my brows further. Not to mention that he was soon nodding in his sleep, and increasing his leg-space dominance. I had nowhere to put my legs! I was concerned that I was soon to be spotted with a Uni-brow as I was getting increasingly irritated. Then...he started coughing!!!! I had my last straw...I got up from my seat, content to stand through and receiving sympathetic glares from fellow ladies commuters who noticed my uncomfortableness. My morning adventure...not the least exciting...

No comments: