29 November 2000

Hebrews went effevecscent today, giving me a bottle of half-consumed vitamin C tablets. I didn't know whether to throw or to consume, to feel insulted or to feel grateful. Who knows what he did to the half that were gone and the other half remaining. ahaha...It's not a present as a present is supposed to be a firsthand, unused good. I decided not to theorise too much on a bottle of vitamin c tablets. I did appreciate it or else I wouldn't have challenged myself to consume it. What probably is most exciting about today is the Bug news. My Japanese windsurfer friend has given me a quote on the varieties of Bug juice and their prices. This was the brazen liquid which was slated to enable Japanese Naoko Takahashi to win the gold medal in the Sydney Olympics marathon. Nothing can describe the pride I felt seeing an Asian winning a gold medal in the Olympics. My friend promised to bring me lots of it, as much as I'm willing to pay for. Our conversation topics have ranged from 'Supergirl' to 'Miss Singapore'. It's too long a story to begin telling here but she's the No. 2 windsurfer in Japan, not to mention a pretty face decorating the bronzed muscled arm of her pin-up poster boyfriend who's possibly called Superman. We made a pact in our last email, to be joint No. 1 & No. 2 top windsurfers in Asia. Our ambition is to rout Masako Imai and Lee Lai Shan out of their decade-old dominance in Asian windsurfing. ahaha...I must have been dreaming to agree with her. aha. However, nothing is impossible. AMEN?! Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains. I forgot to mention that I've broken the no-gym curse today. I finally went, having discovered my flu was better and caught my nose from running away. I didn't go all out though I finished 3 sets of exercises which include what I call 'complex' move, prescribed by my strength trainer, Dr Ben Tan. I also did other stuff like forearm exercises using a barbell, abs, calf ex, ankle ex and pull-ups. I found myself gasping for breath at times as the flu always threatens my cardio fitness rather than strength. But I felt the focus back again, as did my lunch-time gym workouts. I found myself in occasional flights of fantasy, clad in lycra blue bodysuits with my red undies on the external. Supergirl! ahaha...It must have been a childhood-deprived fantasy with the too-much school work that I am now dreaming of becoming a superheroine. It's amazing how fantasizing about your innermost dreams can put a spring in your step and a sparkle in your eyes, albeit no one around you knows what you are thinking of. I think the scariest thing is not about being unable to fulfil one's dreams, but the LACK of dreams in one's life. Occasional indulgence in the impossible is beneficial for one's faith as God does not see us through our natural eyes. The eyes of faith leaps across human impossibilities and crosses the deepest chasms. I drew strength from the story of Joshua and Caleb. They spied the land of Canaan and reported in faith that it was a land flowing with milk and honey. This is the report of men of faith. The others trembled and saw themselves as grasshoppers in the land of giants. One group saw blessings while the other saw evil. The difference lies in 'vision'. Conquer fear or it'll conquer you. It's 6:30 p.m. on a midweek and I'm still comfortably seated in my office...I struggle to mention this but it is really midweek. Ought not I be doing something fun, like going for some jazz, movies, dance or even meeting up with old pals? I've just been too caught up in my recent obsession at home. I've been writing notes into my windsurfing log book, getting enough rest, reading books and dreaming... And yes, there's been articles running through Straits Times the last weeks up till Monday. Articles that talked about the Singapore Open, Tudor and our local windsurfing scene. Today, we saw the helmsman of SingaporeSailing Federation being elected into the ISAF Committee. Wonderful!

No comments: