18 December 2000

I forgot this webby is primarily on windsurfing trainings...I'm so tempted to pen just spontaneous thoughts than note down technical details of every race. We did not have water training on Saturday as there was 0 wind. We had our surprise physical fitness test instead, which I felt, was simply no better than a normal day's training. We were tested on 6 events and my results are as below: 1) Pull-ups (max no. possible) = 4 2) Sit-ups (max no. possible in 2 mins flat) = 73 3) Back Extension (max no. possible in 2 mins flat) = 95 4) Bench Pull (Max weight, 1 rep) = 40 kg 5) Bench Pull (20 kgs, max reps possible, no time restriction) = 39 6) 5.3 km run (fastest timing possible) = 30.16 min Ok...my run is the worst event of all...in the team as well. That goes to show why there r much fats on my body and how much time I have on my hands to run...I tend to lose out to my buddy on events that require time to train or practice technique, in particular (5) & (6). I won the 4 other items hands down. We did the run on Sunday morning, followed by 3 hrs of water-training. The aches have not spared me even as I'm sitting here comfortably. From the physical fitness test results, I'm fully convinced that my 'smart' trainings have shown results. I hope this does not sound boastful as I really am not intending it to be so. An athlete who has limited time and energy, with a full-time job has no other option but to devise smart training methods as well as to know opponents' weakneseses. For me, it's easy because I have only one opponent in theory. I had noted down my variables which can be improved with time and constants which cannot be changed (e.g. personality or ingrained weaknesses). I had focused on those variables and improved on them and trusted in God for the constants to change me inside out. Both had worked. Worse thing was, I had gone thru' this test at one of my lowest fitness seasons, not to mention the rough day at work on Friday. I know I could have a lot better, esp the pull-ups & the run. Water-training: 4-6 knots; easterly strong current; easterly wind; cloudy Race 1: I had fought for an ok start, front-line getting clear wind, ok pumping speed. The shorter the start line, the less it matters whether you start at boat-end or port end. Just aim for clear wind and be on front line. I charged out, pumped real hard only to have Jon tack right in front of me. I shouted starboard but he stayed put, saying he doesn't know the race started. Ok...tough luck on me...I tried my best not to fall, jammed my board into his feet (ouch! I couldn't help it...), quickly tacked, and tried to gain lost grounds. I lost much grounds in this collision. Jon & I were the last of the fleet to untangle and chase the rest. I played the middle ground, felt out wind shifts, focused on my boardspeed and reached the upwind mark at a decent position. Many had played extremes and suffered. The wind is very shifty and that is a no-no, as much as the gains can be big, the losses can choke u too. In a race, consistency is the key! My downwind speed and pumping was decent too...I pumped hard, rode on the waves and I beat my buddy half a leg. When the wind is shifty, it's as important to gybe in the downwind as you don't want to be in a lifter. You want to be in a header as it will bring you closer to the mark. I definitely do not have the better sailing fitness so I just tried my best to play smart. Race 2: Same conditions...My BEST race in a few weeks. Good start and clear wind, I played out wind shifts and the test of a sailor's tactics is at the last tack to upwind mark. My buddy was actually ahead of me though at a bigger angle but further ahead. I figured the strong current will push me to the mark fast so I underlayed A LOT. I jammed straight to the mark & i even had to bear down a little. Then I knew that I could have underlayed 10 degrees more. Argghhh! But by then, my buddy who has devised a beautiful rhumb line to the mark had overlayed TOO MUCH coz the current pushed her down even much more. I was the 3rd sailor in the fleet of 9-10 sailors to round the upwind buoy. I continued my downwind mission with much gusto which could not outdo the boys. I lost out 2 positions to finish 5th overall. Not too bad...when usually I would fight super hard to get a good bottom position among the boys. ahaha... Race 3: Wind is more shifty and current is stronger than in previous races. We had at least 4 General Recalls and it was tiring waiting, looking, standing there, pumping across the line only to return to start all over again. Everyone was just drifting uncontrollably over the start line and I grazed my board against the Bedok beacon a couple of times. In addition, I had a terrible start and it spoiled my momentum throughout the rest of the race. I caught all the wrong shifts and ended up in headers most of the time. i was getting tired and did not bother to chase up. I gave up the whole race. Race 4: Same as above. Start was bad considering the super short start line and strong current. The fatigue had taken its toll on me and I was just waiting to go back to shore. This should not be the attitude of a good sailor, I must say. Everyone was tired and only Andrew was pumping. The rest were deadened, only I was more deadended I suppose. We didn't cross the finish line and headed straight to shore. I 'finished' beside my buddy who also, like all of us, sailed back to the club, which is a long long way away. How I looked longingly at the powerboat and wished I can be on it. Then it as home sweet home to my 24 inch pooh-pooh...not to mention a pooh cushy given to me by a Hot Chick. aha!

No comments: