04 January 2001

Singapore Open Windsurfing Championships 2001!!!! This must be the highlight of the race season with Lee Lai Shan (1996 Atlanta Olympic Gold medallist) gracing the event and eventually winning it. Held over freaky wind conditions and super-strong currents, the top sailors are still the top sailors as the results remain predictable. I've concluded that whatever the wind condition, however heavy the sailor is, results still boil down to the sailor, the sailor, the sailor. The Men's category was won by SEA Games Gold medallist (many times) Phanuthat Ruamsap, followed by Ho Chi Ho and Oka Sulaksana. The Women's class was dominated by the Olympic sailors Lee Lai Shan (5th in Sydney Olympics) who did not have a close rival apart from Masako Imai (Japan-10th in Sydney Olympics) and Yasuko Kosuge (Japan). Personally, it was a win-lose battle and love-hate sentiment. I was leading the Local Ladies up till the very last (7th) race where I lost the lead by one point. Thereafter, I waited hopefully on the 5th day of race, planning to launch a counter-attack with a strategic game plan and renewed energy. The wind did not come and there was not a single race held that day. I can't quite describe the pain...i was sorta on the verge of relief and helplessness. I had to search within myself to find a reason to make up for the sense of illogical loss. I decided that that day's chat with San san was worth the local win. She selflessly imparted precious attitude pointers, strategy advice and directional encouragement. She holds such a humility totally undeserved of an Olympic Champion. For the first time, I had a pro sailor asking me more questions than I asking them. In the process, I shared with her my dreams, goals and hopes in sheer honesty and deep sincerity. Her words had an impact enough to send in my resignation letter the first day I came in to work. Amazing?! For someone who's been there, done it and achieved it, this first step I'm taking is truly the baby step to bigger things. She told me that her goal was not just a personal ambition but rather, a reflection of a larger ambition for her country. She wants Hong Kongers to know that sports can be a career and that Asian windsurfers can make it in the world levels. It is time that we dare to step out and do what we truly believe in. Even if it means going against what society thinks, even if it means defying your logic and that trained system of decision-making. Dare yourself to live your dream because we hold responsible at the end of our lives our fulfilment level. If you dare to accept those 'what-ifs' and 'I-should-haves', then be mediocre. If not, ask God for faith and courage to pursue your call...He'll not call you to failure and if He did call you, He will sponsor you! He shall never allow the righteous to stumble and fall if He will even take care of the lilies in the fields.

No comments: