22 January 2001

By now, the key organization hates me...ahaha...for having not followed PROPER PROCEDURES, taking matters into my own hands, and propagating this issue beyond s'pore (only UK, ISR, JPN, IND & HK only wat...ahaha). I was sorry to get some guys into trouble as it was all my own hyper-enthusiasm at fault. Some people are just their usual paranoid, control freak selves which perceived my actions as another of the certain-sailor's saga. All I wanted was to fight for the ladies class & get it back by any/all means. After that, I also got some nasty comments from a couple of sailors to say I claimed credit and staked my berth in SEA Games. I had no qualms about knuckling down on those hard, gently as I possibly can! I am so glad that this struggle came abt coz more of His glory is manifested. To be one of the 2 classes accepted among 39 appeals, i think it's a miracle and MUCH MORE. It's abt 5% winning chance. I was glad to have gone thru' this battle as I surprised myself with the hunger that I never knew I ever had inside. I had answered every single question that could possibly confront an athlete...why i'm doing this, for wat, for who...wat if's...the answers I hope would be strong enuf to see me thru' the toughest times. To properly put this, it's certainly a refnining fire for me...to burn off impurities, sieve every fear, obstacle and disbelief in my spirit. It has left me stronger, focused and all-ready to pounce on anything that would challenge my God. My spirit and mind has taken a higher dimension of faith and intimacy with JESUS... in the same token, I feel that I cannot compromise a non-believer for a partner as the level of understanding is only at the tip of the iceberg. Coach's training is tough!!! He had to give me a 30% discount as I almost vomitted and felt faint after doing 2 sets. One of the horrible ex includes hanging on a pull-up bar for 2 mins, at least 3 sets. It's to make yr forearms BURN literally (simulate pumping intensity in races). They did BURN... i would slip down several times, when my fingers & fingertips could not hold on anymore, tightening every single muscle I can find on my shoulders & back....to have to jump back up again to finish the 2 min. After that, I felt like the veins were all gonna burst or go short-circuit. Of coz, my much-hated fartleks were part of it...thank God it wasn't a great problem as I had been a middle-distance runner for many years. After I forced myself to gobble down my lunch, we went out for water trainings in good winds. With storms impending, and gusts settling to more constant puffs, we enjoyed the chops, puffs of gusts and seeing so many sails out in the sea. It's always good to have sailors in addition to the National Team sailors, which is the case most of the time. We had good gusts that hit me and man, when you feel like giving up the sport, one good feeling can bring you back with full passion. The speed and adrenalin-rush was more than resuscitating. The chops added in to the element of control and height. I had to pull my downhaul tight as the stronger gusts force me to open up my sail to depower. Coach sailed with us in the good winds and demonstrated a jump when he successfully caught a wave and cut off the lip nicely Ooooh...I went...trying hard to scream like bimbos do. Then he did several more lay-downs NEAR successfully. Scream I did...ahahaha...it means so much to have a higher standard to follow...which explains why HK, Japan and many other countries could do well. We had to do sausage courses and for the first 2 races, I was still desperately trying to recover from the tremendous fatigue I sustained since morning. I sailed in last, cruising through in pain. Then voila, in the 3rd and second last race, I zipped past everyone to come in 1st overall in the fleet. aha!! One of my rare hat-tricks again and Coach gave me a thumbs-up as he finished 3 places behind me. I had happened to catch a good start, followed all the wind shifts, sailed in all the gusts and had perfect board speed. At one point, Jon and I were neck to neck and he was upwind of me and following me less than half a metre away...and I maintained my angle, kept my speed and eventually sped off ahead of him, pulling away more and more. Somehow, he lost his angle and reached the upwind mark some 5 board-lengths away from me. Fluke you can call it...but I've tasted winning races and I'm addicted to this taste. The last race saw the storms coming and winds shifting drastically. We headed back to the club to have another short session of planing...there, I tested my upwind planing speeds and stance. Felt really good...TILL I woke up this morning to a totally aching body and saturated brain. Boy, am I still walking with a wobble and a twist...at 7 p.m. we are going to have a reunion dinner with most sailors in the windsurfing team, to play family to Coach Q. Can't wait to be there...to say we are not united is a lie...Happy Lunar New Year, everyone!!!

No comments: