12 February 2001

It's my first rest day today and I'm in my sister's home playing with the lovely children. I've had 4 days of professional windsurfing and I have to admit I'm in pain, aching real badly and thoroughly bonked out! Each day's routine lasts from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Tuesdays to Sundays, Mondays being off days. We would begin each day with land trainings that is progressive and periodical. The first day of training included 200 squats, 120 bench pulls (20 kg), 140 sit-ups, 140 back extensions and 2 min hand grip on the pull-up bar. After a short nap and lunch, we went out to sea. The training prescription differs every day as we want the individual muscles to recover. I had my breakthrough y'day though and I have to say I'm more elated than I can describe. There were about 10 guys, plus me out at sea. We had constant winds of 17-20 knots and quite constant gusts on the upwinds at 25 knots for about 2 legs. We sailed huge courses, triangling among Tanah, Keta aand Padang. We ran about 4 races and by 5 p.m., all of us were whipped to pulp. I had my breakthrough in the 25 knots upwinds, sailing steadily and holding my board speed equal to Meng, who was on a raceboard 380. Even coach went "Well done!" after we reached the buoy. I had set my sail rigging according to Masako's and it worked miracles. I was hanging on to my dear life as the gusts threaten to overturn my board and catapult me. Though my veins felt like exploding, I told myself "Never give up, hang on!" and steadied the powerful gusts with the big waves. By the 3 race's upwind, my harness had torn on my butt. Wow! That $100+++ worth of harness is gone in one strong wind...it's either the harness or my back and I'm glad it's the harness. I've never sailed so well in terms of speed and angle before in 25 knots before. I seem to have caught a glimpse of the strong wind technique...I'll never fear it again, neither the huge winds expected at 2002 Asian Games. I must take care not to lose too much weight as it'll disadvantage me in winds from 25 knots to 30 knots. When wind is above 25 knots, your board that is placed on the beach starts to fly. Hope it helps your imagination. The FIGHT is tremendous, as you are pulling your sail with every ounce of your strength and bodyweight, making you realise how mighty nature is. With wings we fly, with guts we try! In the downwind legs, my speed was horrendous. I did not dare to release my outhaul for fear that I would be overpowered. I would do that the next time and ride mightily on the waves. Right now, my feet are laden with long cuts and blistered skin on my toes. My quads are totally sore and I'm on a journey to discover whether Deep Heat Rub, Tiger or plasters are the best solutions for muscle aches. Gosh...a whole new phase begins tomorrow once again. I anticipate sprints, more torture and more water-time. Stay Tuned!

No comments: