29 May 2001

29 May 2001, Monday Songs of Silence: In the day, I lose myself out there in the sea. In the night, I come to find myself back! In the night, you don¡¯t even know the sea is there. Darkness. And you even think it¡¯s so still that the sea is nothing more than a big patch of darkness. Till you walk nearer and listen more intently, you¡¯ll hear the waves crashing gently on the seashore. If you strain your eyes a little, you can even outline strips of light reflected off the surface from the moon. Listen even more intently and you discover a rhythm to the waves; look closer and you see a piercing light in the somber darkness. Can you hear the sea singing songs of silence? I do¡­it¡¯s a song punctuated with crashing waves and howling winds. On other nights, the waves are gentle and the wind¡¯s a shy breeze. Tonight¡¯s song is silent as of other nights. Overcome by fatigue, speechless from my daily weariness and overwhelmed by routine, I sought to find my voice again. Putting aside the reasons that put me here and shrugging off the single-mindedness I was supposed to bear, I seek to listen to my heart, once more, like a child would. I strain to take note of every sound I can hear around me. I listen to the stall-owner¡¯s voice and what she says. I hear the motorbike¡¯s roaring engine. I hear the footsteps of some passers-by. I hear the rustling of leaves and a plastic bag taking off into the dark. I could even hear muffled voices in the distant, occasionally disturbed by shrieks of laughter. I struggle to remember it, lest I forget and lose the feeling. I attempt to remember the day¡¯s activities while savouring the hardship and pondering over the routine of life. After all, this will make up several chapters of my life. Finally, I realized that my song is still silent. It is meant to be silent, I figured. In silence, there is peace. There is a knowing and a focus. In silence means I can sing as though there are no yesterdays or tomorrows. I can create my tune and make up my choir; choreograph the piece and design the lights. In silence means I can hear better. In silence means I can pick up lost thoughts and reflect further on others. In silence means I can sing songs of silence. Whatever you do, be yourself¡­and be what God designed you to be! Labour into rest and struggle to be at peace with yourself.

No comments: